Thursday, February 19, 2015

Book Lovers' Tag

Hi everyone :)
So my fellow book blogger Azee has tagged me in my first ever book tag.. Thanks girl!
I love reading her book blog, and I must admit that I've stolen some ideas been inspired by her a number of times - so check out her blog The Book Ponderer/UnderCover Critique (yes, it has so much cool that it needs two names).

From: bookponderer.blogspot.com
The tag is just a number of questions that I get to answer and pass on to others. So without much further ado, here goes nothing..
(sidenote: is the phrase 'here goes nothing' actually supposed to mean anything? Or is it sarcasm? I haven't been able to find its origins - the internet has failed me again)

1. Do you have a specific place for reading?

I don't really think about where I am and what I'm doing when I'm reading - I live in the world of my characters, revelling in the sounds and noises of Narnia, Hogwarts, Middle Earth, or turn-of-the-century New York. 
      But the ideal book-reading spot, for me at least, would be cozy and warm with the vibe of a dusty old library (without actually being dusty or old or a library). The kind of place to cuddle up on a cold Winter's morning.

Something like this would do just fine
From: tumblr.com
2. Bookmarks or a Random Piece of Paper? 

I may be expressing the unpopular opinion here, but I love eBooks and have never had much use for bookmarks.. (More on that later). 
       But that doesn't mean I don't collect them. I came across this marvelous business online whose whole bookmark theme is "Reasons to use this Bookmark" and they make adorable bookmarks with little reasons like "There's a noisy eater in the room," and "The dog desperately needs a walk."
These are just a few of my growing collection
3. Can you just stop anywhere or do you need to finish a chapter?

If I do stop at all, I need to finish a chapter. Of course. 
(I spend most nights reading books, and then leave the house with dark circles, unbrushed hair, and poorly-picked out clothes)

4. Do you eat or drink while reading?

Nope. I'm a big eater, and I'd hate to eat mindlessly while reading - and then regret not savoring the food later. (Haha I bet you thought I'd be worried about the book or the Kindle!)

5. Music or TV while reading?

I prefer music to television, but I mostly avoid both (for the same reason as the food question above - simply cannot multi-task, and would regret not enjoying the music or the TV). 
       Sometimes I listen to music just to flush out distracting voices from the outside world (I'm a compulsive eavesdropper) - just some Bon Iver-esque tunes to be the rythmic motions of my brain cells - reading really is soothing (even if you're reading Stephen King's psychological terror). 

6. One book at a time or several?

At this point, I must confess that I am not as much of a bibliophile as I thought I was. 
Firstly, I read books on one week intervals because it takes me that long to be able to transition from the gorgeous ending of one book to even the thought of begining another. 

So, no. I am not one of those brilliant souls who can read more than one book at a time. 

7. Do you prefer to read at home or elsewhere?

Sometimes it really depends on the book. A few books have dragged me into the outside world just so that I can feel the wind between my fingers as I flip their pages; others have pulled me into the depths of despair, and all I can do is ball up in bed and read through the night. 

8. Read out loud or silently?

I have to admit that I sometimes re-read particularly delightful parts of my books out loud - for the people in the room with me, and, if I'm alone, just for myself. 
        On the other hand, I always read poetry out loud - my voice is the only thing that can bring it alive in my particular way. I also love listening to poetry because everyone makes each piece sound different. 

Is anyone still with me? We're almost done you guys! Hang on :)

9. Do you read ahead or skip the pages?

I do. 
It's not a crime! Don't look at me like that!
I really don't know anyone who isn't guilty of the sin of skipping pages. No one is that saintly!

10. Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

This is yet another question that doesn't apply to iconoclastic Kindle-reading me. But I always kept my books in pristine conditions. 

Okay, here we go! Last question - and again, it doesn't end in a nice divisible-by-5 number.

11. Do you write in your books?

It's incredible easy to make notes on our Kindle, and they can be pages long if I wanted. I never wrote in my traditional books but that is only because I slipped small pieces of paper with my commentary in between the pages instead. 

If you're still here, I congratulate you on your spectacular achievement on slogging through this collosal post, and thank you :)

I nominate: 

Christine at Bibliophilic Madness
Alex at The Books Buzz and 
Eduardo at Booming Books

Plus if anyone else reads this, and wants to do it - you're welcome to!

9 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog and wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award!

    Here's what you need to know: http://koranikasgeekiness.blogspot.com/2015/02/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Skye! I really enjoy these things :)

      Delete
  2. Heya, I've nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award too, haha!
    More info/what to do next is on my blog post here: http://thedarlingbookworm.blogspot.ca/2015/02/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. TBR room :3 That's funny and accurate.

    Haha, great post! I just did this one myself, and it was fun :)

    Cucie @ Cucie reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right? These things are the best :)
      I'll check out your blog ASAP

      Delete
  4. Hahah it was originally called The Book Ponderer but I changed it! xD Nonetheless, it is a cool blog. *wink (self-promo! xD) Hmm, you should totally do a research about the phrase "here goes nothing" and make a post about it because you totally make me think about it in depth now. xD
    I like the smell of a dusty old library. Not the bad smell, mind you! xD The musty old books smell is really soothing, for me.
    Hahah normally most will be worried about the books and not the food so, yeah, I'm surprised! xD But, I also don't like eating mindlessly so I usually just close the book and concentrate on eating.
    I can never read out loud. The story felt monotonous when I'm reading it. I guess I don't have the gift of a storyteller. Hahah I skip pages too, sometimes. I try not too and I always feel guilty when I do it but sometimes I had to! xD
    Phew, finally finish reading it! xD Kidding! I always enjoy reading others' posts so I was not bored in reading this long post. Hahah I think my post about this tag is much longer. xD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Annie, I loved this bookTag, is very interesting your opinion and I'm happy to know that I'm not the only one that likes to read with a fabolous kindle. Can I respond this bookTag for my blog? Is is in Spanish, but I will translate the questions :D

    ReplyDelete